The throat (pharynx and larynx) is a ring-like strong cylinder that goes about as the path for air, food, and fluid. It is situated behind the nose and mouth and interfaces the mouth (oral pit) and nose to the breathing sections (windpipe [windpipe] and lungs) and the throat.
Functions Of Throat Cancer:
- Conveys air to the respiratory framework.
- Conveys food and fluid to the digestive system.
- Drives food into the throat so it's not taken in.
- Evens out the tension in the ears and channels liquid from the ears.
Throat cancer is a type of cancer that begins in the mid-section of the head and neck (oropharynx) region, beginning at the back of the mouth, to the lowest portion of the throat (hypopharynx). It covers:
- the base of the tongue
- soft palate
- the intersection of the throat
- windpipe (trachea)
- the beginning of the food pipe.
Types of throat cancer
Throat cancer is sometimes broadly grouped under the larger group of ‘head & neck cancers.
Cellular level classification of throat cancer(sub-head)
Based on this; cancer is of three types namely:
- squamous cell carcinomas originate in the throat’s cellular lining and are the most common type of throat cancer.
- adenocarcinomas- start in the glandular cells lining the throat and nearby areas.
- sarcomas- develop within connecting tissue elements and are very rare.
Apart from this some other types of throat cancer are:
- Oropharyngeal cancer: Oropharyngeal cancer develops in the tonsils, the base of the tongue, the soft palate (the roof of the mouth), and the pharynx. The most common form of oropharyngeal cancer is called oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma, or OSCC in which the malignant cells start forming inside the soft skin of the oropharynx region.
- Hypopharyngeal cancer: Hypopharyngeal cancer originates where the larynx (throat) and the esophagus (food pipe) meet, which is called the hypopharynx.is a rarer form of throat cancer, and is extremely difficult to detect early or diagnose.
Signs And Symptoms Of Throat Cancer
The most widely recognized indications of throat cancer are:
- The sensation of the knot in the throat
- Throat soreness
- Change in the voice-hoarseness of voice or hot voice
- Trouble in gulping
- Pain while gulping
- Torment in the ears, or jaw
- Quick and unexplained weight loss
- Swelling in the neck
Causes And Risk Factors Of Throat Cancer
There are multiple causes and risk factors due to which throat cancer can occur.
Stages of Throat Cancer:
The most basic way of staging cancer in the throat involves a number system based on which doctors segregate cancer and implement a treatment process.
Throat Cancer Diagnosis, Tests, And Scanning Systems
Diagnosis can help to increase the chances of successful treatment and recovery for throat cancer patients. To check for throat cancer; doctors perform many diagnostic methods.
Throat Cancer Treatment Options
Treatment of throat cancer depends on the stage of the disease and the patient's general condition to tolerate the treatment. To know more about treatment options; click here.
Recovery After Throat Cancer Treatment
Treatment for throat cancer often causes complications as well as many side effects at the stage of recovery.
Drugs Used For Throat Cancer Treatment
Many drugs are either administered via IV or given during the time of chemotherapy to help fight throat cancer.